Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

June 3 Disaster: Sympathy and the Way Forward

by - 00:02:00

 
Image by courtesy of www.todaygh.com
June 3 2015 will forever remain a dark day in the history of Ghana. What started as a normal day turned into a day of much sorrow and death. A day that the nation lost over 200 souls to floods and an explosion at a fuel station. Who would have thought that people who were running to seek shelter from the rains would all die in a few minutes. Some of them burnt into ashes beyond recognition. We cry for our loved ones! What a sad day for the nation Ghana! 
 
A woman I met on the bus narrated this story to me. She couldn’t stop crying. “I spoke to my son some time yesterday in the evening. He told me he was at circle and had to take cover because of the rain. Little did I know that I was speaking to him for the last! Since then I haven’t heard from him. I couldn’t sleep last night, I stayed up all night trying to contact him. His phones are off I don’t know whether he is dead or alive because he said he was at Circle where the explosion took place!” My heart goes out to be everyone who has lost family or friend. I understand your pain but take comfort in the Lord. He understands your pain more than anyone. I pray this woman finds her son.
It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. I cry for the nation Ghana. It is time we work together as a people. I usually stay out of the political talk but let me break my silence. Our politicians need to put their heart where their mouth is. We only hear talks after talks and talks! How many people have to perish before our politicians get the balls to do what they have to do? I don't know about you but I don't believe three days of mourning as declared by the President means much. What we need to do as a nation and as a people is to change our attitudes so that their deaths will not be in vain.

Image by courtesy of www.todaygh.com
It's sad that after we have witnessed so many people die, we sit and wait on the government to clean the drainage system. can't we as a people do our bit by ensuring that we clean those drains that are in front of our homes and work places? Can we back government to demolish all structures in water ways? I get confused when the mayor is insulted for taking action to demolish these structures built in water ways. The right time to act is now, let us back the authorities to demolish these structures and let us ensure that after they have been demolished they are not rebuilt. Should we allow a few people to benefit that is those who have built in water ways while thousands lose their property and homes? Wouldn’t that be selfishness? The bible says we should look out for each other, this  means ensuring that we do not contribute in anyway to the discomfort and death of others.
 
I pray that this time we as a people and the government do not just talk but play our individual roles to ensure that this tragedy does not repeat itself. Let us help the flood victims by providing bedding, clothing, building materials and food. Let us get involved and not just wait for the government. Help from the government might arrive too little too late.
 
God bless you for rising to the occasion.

You May Also Like

0 comments