Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Herstory: Told Stories of Unknown yet Familiar Women I

by - 12:00:00

Image result for child marriage in ghana
Google Images
As an avid reader I've met so many female characters that tell heart wrenching stories. In novels I see and witness their abuse and pain. This is the story of Aya for privacy I'm unable to reveal her real identity. 
 
Her story begins like that of Najwa, a character in Hisham Matar's In the Country of Men except that the setting is not in the Maghreb Arab world but in a part of Africa that doesn't have Islamic dominance. Her story is quite like Mara's in Ama Darko's Beyond the Horizon the only difference being that she is not trafficked and turned into a prostitute in Europe.

Let me bring out Aya to share her story with you. 


“Growing up I was a very happy girl and had a lot of friends of both sexes. I was in love with a boy in my school but nothing ever happened between us we were too young. Like any teenager I preferred hanging out with my friends than staying at home. Life was rosy for me for I didn't know what life had in stock for me. I was a good Muslim girl and obeyed the words of my parents to the letter. However I never imagined that my obedience would cost me my freedom! 
 
After our basic certificate exam, I attended a friend's Islamic wedding. We were all so excited for her and had fun but I also felt the tragedy of her getting married so young at the age of seventeen. I had so many dreams and wanted to further my education but little did I know that my friend's fate was  soon to be mine.
 
Unknowingly to me a family had seen me at the wedding and gone to see my father to arrange our wedding. A month later my mum informed me of my wedding. I had no say in the matter. Although I was the one going to live with him, my opinion didn't matter. They had agreed to the wedding and my role was to be present. On the day scheduled my in-laws came and did what was required of them and sent me to a different town, to a man I didn't know and had never seen. They never considered my feelings! I was in tears but of course they might have assumed it was tears of joy! The irony, if only they knew!
 
When we got to the town, I was sent to his room. He was no more than a child himself, for he was only a year older than me. I lived and continue to live with him in his family house. His extended family made me do all the house chores even cleaning up their stool! I had no breathing space and no money because my husband was an apprentice mechanic then. We had a very small room in his extended family house to call our own. The room could only hold a bed, one chair and a table. I was used to living in a big house maybe not big according to social standards but at the very least I had a room to myself! It was big and specious!
 
After five years together and our first child all my clothes became worn out I had almost nothing to wear! The people in the community advised me to ran off and leave him. But where would I have gone if I had left him? My family would never have accepted me back! And I had no money to run off with. I decided then to find a job so I could earn some money. I couldn’t get any decent job with my basic education. So, though I had no money  I decided to start a retail business. I spoke to one of our neighbours and she agreed to help me.  On that note I started selling pieces of cloth to civil servants on credit basis. From the profit I made we had food to eat and clothes to wear.
 
After over 20 years of marriage I can't say I love him. I even forget that I have a husband when I travel. There is nothing that attaches me to him though we now have three kids. When it comes to our sexual life I don't know if mine is like every marriage. I won't talk about my ordeal in the past when we first got married but, now he isn't one to force himself on me when I say no to his advances.  However a refusal means three months or more before he makes another attempt. I've vowed never to allow my daughters experience what I'm living through.

 
Now at my age I meet friends from my childhood and I bow down my head in shame. It seems the years have been good to them but I'm the opposite. They live in their own homes and drive their own cars but I can't even stay at home because I don't have peace of mind! I don't have privacy. My husband's extended family and his parents are always hovering around me. They judge everything I do it's as though I was their property. In the early days I had no place to cook because we had no kitchen. I had to cook even in the rain as there was no shed or covering for my cooking place. Though now we have two rooms I still have no privacy! I wish that I had gone to school like my friends. I might have been living a better life now!
 
Her story resonates with that of many stories told by authors. As she narrated her story abandoning herself to her sad fate I could only comfort her and promise to share her story with you. Let's stand against forced and child marriages. These girls have a right to live, and love as they choose. As Najwa posits in Matar's In the Country of Men, forced marriage is a prison sentence and the husband, the executioner!
  Share and tag a friend!

You May Also Like

0 comments